Agenda CFMIP/EUCLIPSE meeting,
Hotel Zuiderduin, Egmond aan Zee,
8-11th July 2014
(Subject to revision - Last Updated 3 July 2014)
Tuesday 8th July - EUCLIPSE (All welcome)
8:00 Registration and sign up for BBQ, welcome coffee.
9:00 Welcome, introduction and logistics (Pier Siebesma).
Work Package Update & Evaluation (15 minutes plus 10 minutes discussion).
9:10 WP1 George Tselioudis.
9:35 WP2 Sandrine Bony.
10:00 WP3 Stephan de Roode.
10:25 WP4 Bjorn Stevens.
10:50 WP0 Pier Siebesma.
Invited oral presentations.
(CALIPSO-PARASOL-CERES). Dimitra Konsta (AA, LMD/IPSL)
models Françoise Guichard (CNRM). presented by Dominique Bouniol
Johan J. van der Dussen (TUD)
Sara Dal Gesso (KNMI)
12:30 Discussion & Questions
Overview and Summary of the EUCLIPSE Project.
Sandrine Bony (LMD/IPSL, CNRS).
14:30 Questions & Discussions
Pier Siebesma (KNMI).
15:15 Question & Discussions
15:30 Coffee & Tea
Björn Stevens( MPI-M)
16:30 Questions and Discussions
16:45 Future Plans
17:45 Close, Pier Siebesma
Wednesday 9th July - CFMIP/EUCLIPSE
8:30 Registration and sign up for BBQ
9:00 CFMIP Update. Mark Webb (MO)
Submitted oral presentations (15 minutes including 2 minutes questions).
Cloud feedbacks, adjustments and climate sensitivity
Models. Stephen Klein (LLNL)
climate change experiments. Mark Ringer (MOHC)
Uncertainties of Climate Sensitivity. Hideo Shiogama (NIES)
10:30 Climate sensitivity on an idealized land planet. Tobias Becker (MPI-M)
10:45 Tropical Low-clouds in CMIP5 models : How vertical distribution are linked to climate
sensitivity? Florent Brient (ETH)
C. Kodama (JAMSTEC)
Timothy Andrews (MOHC)
12:00 Lunch & Posters
• Analysis of cloud feedbacks in the coupled superparameterized climate model SP-CCSM4. Christopher Bretherton (UW)
• Vertical profile analysis of cloud feedbacks in MRI-CGCM3. Hideaki Kawai (MRI)
• Cloud Responses to Global Warming Simulated by Two Different Cloud Microphysical Schemes Implemented in a Nonhydrostatic ICosahedral Atmospheric Model (NICAM.). Ying-Wen Chen (JAMSTEC)
• Examining the relative role of shallow and deep convection in the response of low cloud cover to warming SST. Jessica Vial (LMD/IPSL)
• Using temporal variability to constrain tropical low-cloud feedbacks. Florent Brient (ETH)
• Inter-model spread in hydrological sensitivity is small. Dagmar Popke (MPI-M)
• Extreme precipitation and heat/cold statistics for the prescribed present vs. RCP8.5 derived SSTs in simulations using the T85 SP-CAM. Marat Khairoutdinov (Stonybrook University)
• Assessment of clouds and radiation within MJO disturbances in observations and CMIP5/CFMIP2 climate models. Romain Roehrig (CNRM)
14:00 Impact of a shallow convection parameterization to the cloud feedback in MIROC5. Tomoo Ogura (NIES)
Roger Marchand (UW)
Mark Webb (MOHC)
Constrain Cloud Radiative Response Uncertainties. Yoko Tsushima (MOHC)
(MPMPE). Youichi Kamae (NIES)
Cloud circulation coupling
Jennifer E. Kay (U. Colorado)
the Hadley circulation. George Tselioudis (NASA/GISS)
16:15 Cloud radiation feedback essential for Madden-Julian Oscillation. Traute Crueger (MPI-M)
configuration. David Coppin (LMD/IPSL)
Radiative Forcing to El Niño Warming. Lijuan Li (LASG)
Thursday 10th July - CFMIP/EUCLIPSE
Submitted oral presentations (15 minutes including 2 minutes questions)
Precipitation in a changing climate
M. Watanabe (AORI)
precipitation. F. Hugo Lambert (U. Exeter)
Rob Chadwick (MOHC)
get richer. Christian Jakob (Monash University)
Boutheina Oueslati (LMD/IPSL)
Process oriented model climate model evaluation using observations and fine scale models
Mark J. Rodwell (ECMWF)
ECMWF model and high frequency output from CMIP5 models. Louise Nuijens (MPI-M)
effect. David Neubauer
Brian Medeiros (NCAR)
12:30 Lunch & Posters
• Improvements in global cloud-system resolving simulations by using a double-moment bulk cloud microphysics scheme. Tatsuya Seiki (JAMSTEC)
• Coupling between convection and large-scale circulation. Tobias Becker (MPI-M)
• The impact of cloud size-distribution on entrainment and detrainment rates in an LES of shallow convection. Philip Austin (CCCMA)
• Cloud Biases in CMIP5 using MISR, ISCCP, and COSP Simulators. B. Hillman (UW). Presented by Roger Marchand (UW).
• Evaluation of global cloud distributions in the present climate simulated by MRI-CGCM3 using COSP Tsuyoshi Koshiro (MRI)
• The New Microphysic Cloud Scheme Implemented in RegCM4. Rita Nogherotto (ICTP)
• Controlling entrainment in the smoke cloud using level set-based front tracking.Eckhard Dietze (Brandenburg Univ. of Technology)
ensemble of CMIP5 models. Jean-Louis Dufresne (LMD/IPSL)
models and satellite observations. Frida Bender (MISU)
CMIP5 models. Hervé Douville (CNRM)
NICAM and Satellite Data. Masaki Satoh (AORI)
16:00 Wrapping up LES Phase 2 of CGILS. Christopher Bretherton (Univ. Washington)
16:15 Large eddy simulation of mid-latitude continental shallow cumulus. Yunyan Zhang (LLNL)
Akira T. Noda (JAMSTEC)
16:45 Airmass transformations and clouds in the Arctic. Gunilla Svensson (MISU)
results. Sara Dal Gesso (KNMI).
Friday 11th July - CFMIP/EUCLIPSE
WCRP Grand Challenge on Clouds, Circulation and Climate Sensitivity
9:00 WCRP Grand Challenge on Clouds, Circulation and Climate Sensitivity.
Björn Stevens (MPI-M)
Sandrine Bony (LMD/IPSL, CNRS)
9:30 Discussion of Grand Challenge questions and themes
Links between the Grand Challenge, CFMIP and related projects
10.:45 Links between Palaeoclimate and Future climate. Pascale Braconnot (LSCI-IPSL)
11:00 The GEWEX Process Evaluation Study PROES. Christian Jakob (Monash Univ.)
11:15 IMPULSE Project. Pier Siebesma (KNMI)
11:30 RFMIP. Robert Pincus (by Skype). (Univ. of Colorado)
11:45 Links with GASS. Steve Klein (LNLL)
13:45 The Structure of the CMIP6 experimental design. Björn Stevens (MPI-M)
14:00 COSP in CMIP6/CFMIP-3 . Alejandro Bodas-Salcedo (MO)
14:15 Overview of proposed CFMIP-3/CMIP6 experimental design. Mark Webb (MO)
16:00 Concluding discussion
16:30 Meeting Close